[sane-devel] HELP! Epson Perfection 4180 Photo

brinkleybw at bigfoot.com brinkleybw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 14:36:28 UTC 2006

* <sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>Hello all!

I have an Epson Perfection 4180 Photo USB Scanner that I am trying to use
with Ubuntu Breezy Badger.  I seemed to have gotten past all of the hurdles
listed in the various postings I've read, but have hit an issue for which I
cannot find any documentation.  I downloaded and installed the iScan package
from Avasys as described
here<http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/%7Ea9826090/en/projects/linux/hardware/epson-3170/>and
configured the sane conf files.  It appears that the scanner is being
recognized.

When I run Xsane, I get a choice of two available devices on the splash
screen: both are "Epson", but one is at epson:libusb:004:003 and the other
at **epkowa:libusb:004:003.  From what I've read, I've supposed to use
Epkowa, but I've tried both just in case.  After hitting OK, I get the main
Xsane windows (v 0.97).  When I click on either of the "Acquire Preview" or
"Scan" buttons, I get a dialogue box stating, "Failed to start scanner:
Invalid Argument".

In addition, If I try to execute scanimage from the command-line, I get the
following:

scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
scanimage: WARNING: read more data than announced by backend (0/2409629696)

iScan returns a similar error, a dialogue stating, "Could not send command
to scanner. Check the scanner's status".

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?  I can send along more info
if you let me know what to look for.

Thanks much!
-Brandon
*