[sane-devel] Benq 5300U not working with sane-backends-1.0.17

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de
Sat Mar 25 17:58:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

> The above appears to agree with the information on the
> sane-snapscan page, which gives the USB ID for the Acer/Benq 5300
> as "0x04a5, 0x20fe" and identifies the firmware to use is
> u254v042.bin.

Yes, that should be correct.

> Of course, the firmware file I have might be corrupt. I downloaded
> it from benq.com along with a raft of other firmware files, but
> there was no checksum to make sure that it downloaded correctly.

The file is most probably ok.

> Note that my scanner is a 5300U, and the sane-snapscan page only
> mentions 5300 (without the "U". I have been assuming that this is
> not significant, given that the USB IDs are the same.

You're right - the 5300 entry is the one for the 5300U. The problem
you're reporting has been experienced before by other people (hence
my remark on that scanner on the snapscan page). I don't know yet how
to solve this problem - maybe the log from the USB layer can shed
some more light. To produce it, use SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255.

/Oliver