[sane-devel] Help with deciding which frontend to use please

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Thu Nov 9 09:56:43 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 08:51:57AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Jon Chambers <jon at jon.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > At the risk of muddying the waters still further you have another couple of
> >
> > 1. Kooka is a KDE SANE app that some people like a lot.
> > 2. Additionally there is an xsane GIMP plugin.
>
> Note that iscan can also be used from the GIMP to acquire images.
>
> Options, options ... there's just too many ;-)

Exactly my problem!  I need to get some feedback on which way to go
before investing a lot of time in learning one way of doing it.

> > If you intend to process your images straight after scanning then the latter
> > might be the way to go.
>
> I'd have to agree with Jon.  Also, it seems that you may need to do
> quite invovled "restoration" of the images.  Unfortunately, all the
> frontends I know about (not all that many) do not provide the tools
> to do that natively.

That's basically why I threw out iscan and xscanimage, however xsane
seems to have quite a lot of control available, sufficient for the
basic restoration I want to do.

> Finally, I want to point out that vuescan is not free software to
> those for who that matters.
It's not expensive though so I'm quite happy to buy it if it's the
best tool for the job.

> # Yes, iscan isn't free software either :-{

It's free as in doesn't cost anything although it's not free as in
open source.

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)