[sane-devel] Help with deciding which frontend to use please

Jon Chambers jon at jon.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 10:07:06 CET 2006

Hi Chris,

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, cl at isbd.net wrote:
> [...]
> When you say "process your images" what do you mean?  Isn't removing
> colour casts that?  If it is are you saying that it will be easier in
> the Gimp?  I'm not aiming to do any serious cropping or major work on
> the slides, I just want to preserve what there is and remove major
> colour casts etc.

WHen I say "process your images" I mean do whatever kind of colour
filtering that you need to restore your slides.  I haven't tried this (I'm
colourblind so I tend not to mess with the colour operations of the
Gimp!).  If you have many slides to scan & process then one of the key
benefits of the Gimp is that operations can be scripted (natively with
the script-fu stuff or else there are plugins for other languages, eg:
perl).  This means:

1. Someone may already have written the filter that you need.
2. You have the option to bite the bullet, plough through the Gimp manual,
and write the script yourself.  There's an upfront time cost but it'll be
worth it if you have hundreds of slides.

cheers,
Jon