[sane-devel] Problems with HP 6300C ADF

long-john01 long-john01 at online.ms
Sat Nov 11 13:26:17 CET 2006

Hello,

I tried the following:

dmesg | grep -i usb

PCI0 PS2K UAR1 USB1 USB2 USB3 S139  LAN  MDM
usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
ohci_hcd: 2004 Nov 08 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver (PCI)
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
ehci_hcd 0000:00:03.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
ehci_hcd 0000:00:03.2: USB 2.0 initialized, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft IntelliMouse® Explorer]
on usb-0000:00:03.1-1
usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.01:USB HID core driver
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 3
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 4
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 5
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 6
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 7
usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 7
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 8
usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 8
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 9
usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 9
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 10
usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 10
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 11
usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 11

and after removing and loading of ohci-hcd the following messages appeared:

usb usb1: USB disconnect, address 1
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.0: USB bus 1 deregistered
usb usb2: USB disconnect, address 1
usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.1: USB bus 2 deregistered
ohci_hcd: 2004 Nov 08 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver (PCI)
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
ohci_hcd 0000:00:03.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft IntelliMouse® Explorer]
on usb-0000:00:03.1-1
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3

This is the output of: lsmod | grep -i usb
usbserial              28008  0
usbhid                 41312  0
usbcore               108760  5 ohci_hcd,usbserial,usbhid,ehci_hcd

I don't understand to much of these messages, but for me it seems the
scanner is recognized as a full speed device.

So is it possible to force this device to be recognized as a low speed
device?

Now I removed the module and loaded it again, and  the scanner seems to
scan more pages. So maybe we are on the right trace.

Thank you for help
Regards Guido

> What does a "dmesg" command reveal? it sounds like your issue is having
> some similarities with one of my systems, where the USB module seems to
> be flooded at times. you can try a "sudo lsmod | grep -i usb" and
> possibly remove, e.g. uhci-hcd ("sudo rmmod uhci-hcd"), possibly with
> the force "-f" argument, and load it again using "sudo modprobe uhci-hcd"
>

> Personally I can recommend the Epson Perfection 4490 with the optional
> ADF, that works perfectly for me.
I just looked in ebay for this scanner, an I think, I cannot afford this
scanner at the moment.