[sane-devel] Sane scanner names change at random

myopicwatchmaker at gmail.com myopicwatchmaker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 01:14:40 CET 2006

Hello all,
This is my first time posting to this list and I'd just like to thank you in
advance for any help. A bit about myself: I am a graduate student in Boston,
currently building a cluster of flatbed scanners to use for biological data
acquisition.  I primarily use epson 4990 scanners attached to a Windows box
via libusb.

My question regards the manner by which the USB protocol assigns dynamic bus
addresses.  With five (identical) scanners attached to a single computer, it
seems impossible for SANE to keep track of which one is which.
Scanimage refers to each scanner by its bus id
(i.eepson:libusb:bus-4:\\.\libusb0-0010--0x04b8-0x012a) a number that,
accross
computer and scanner reboots, changes at random.

Is there any way to correctly specify scanners in the face of changing USB
bus addresses?  I'll have different samples on each scanner and confusing
them will cause obvious problems.

Is there any way around this limitation?

Thanks again,
Nick S.