[sane-devel] Epson GT-12000 SCSI scanner

Dr. Karl Kashofer karl.kashofer at gmx.at
Sat Nov 18 16:35:10 CET 2006

Hi !

I have trouble getting the Epson GT-12000 SCSI scanner working. It is not
recognized by sane-find-scanner.
This is my SCSI card:
> 0000:00:0a.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U/UW/D / AIC-7881U

Here is all the info:

> beka at beka-desktop:~/Karl_Admin$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: EPSON    Model: Stylus Storage   Rev: 1.00
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> beka at beka-desktop:~/Karl_Admin$ scsiinfo -a /dev/sg0
>  Scsiinfo version 1.7(eowmob)
>
> Inquiry command
> ---------------
> Relative Address                   0
> Wide bus 32                        0
> Wide bus 16                        0
> Synchronous neg.                   0
> Linked Commands                    0
> Command Queueing                   0
> SftRe                              0
> Device Type                        0
> Peripheral Qualifier               0
> Removable?                         1
> Device Type Modifier               0
> ISO Version                        0
> ECMA Version                       0
> ANSI Version                       2
> AENC                               0
> TrmIOP                             0
> Response Data Format               2
> Vendor:                    EPSON
> Product:                   Stylus Storage
> Revision level:            1.00
>
> ioctl(SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND) status   = 134217730
> Unable to read Rigid Disk Geometry Page 04h
> Unable to read Caching Page 08h
> Unable to read Format Device Page 03h
> Unable to read Read-Write Error Recovery Page 01h
> Unable to read Control Mode Page 0ah
> Unable to read Disconnect-Reconnect Page 02h
> Data from Defect Lists
> ----------------------
> Unable to read manufacturer defect data.
> Unable to read grown defect data.
> Unable to read Notch and Partition Page 0ch
> Unable to read Verify Error Recovery Page 07h
> Unable to read Peripheral Device Page 09h
> beka at beka-desktop:~/Karl_Admin$ sane-find-scanner
>
>   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
>   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
>   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>
>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
> that # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x082b [USB2.0
> MFP(Hi-Speed)]) at libusb:004:003 # Your USB scanner was (probably)
> detected. It may or may not be supported by # SANE. Try scanimage -L and
> read the backend's manpage.
>
>   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
>   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
>   # can't be detected by this program.
>
>   # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
>   # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
>   # necessary.
> beka at beka-desktop:~/Karl_Admin$
(There is a second Epson scanner attached on the USB port)

I also tried to make epkowa or epson backend recognize the scanner with an
scsi Epson or
scsi EPSON "Stylus Storage" "Direct-Access" 1 00 00 00
line.

Nothing worked. I suspect it could be because this scanner does not
return "Scanner" in the device ID ?

Another problem could be with the SCSI itself. When I do
modprobe -r aic7xxx followed by modprobe aic7xxx to re-scan the scsi bus the
computer hangs for several minutes and i get hundreds of these lines in
dmesg:
> [4295904.069000] scsi2: Someone reset channel A
> [4295904.075000] scsi2: Someone reset channel A
> [4295904.081000] scsi2: Someone reset channel A

Cheers,
Karl