[sane-devel] Still problems with Epson Perfection 3490 Photo

Marcio Braga marci30 at attglobal.net
Thu Nov 23 03:17:00 CET 2006

> As a last resort, I tried it as an ordinary user instead of
> root. Wouldn't you know that this works ?
>
> So, using the scanner as root blocks on listing devices, but as an
> ordinary user (member of group scanner) this works.
>
> Alright,
>
> everybody thanks for the help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jurgen

Great. Just to complement, I tried here with root and received a very scary message:

You try to run XSane as ROOT, that really is DANGEROUS!
Do not send any bug reports when you
have any problem while running XSane as root:
YOU ARE ALONE!
<Cancel>  <Continue at your own risk>

So I continued at my own risk and XSane worked (at least the preview).
So, over here, even as root, it works.

Regards
Marcio