[sane-devel] What docs do I need to add support for a scanner (Plustek might help me...) ?

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Mon Oct 23 10:18:36 UTC 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 12:09, Farid Joubbi wrote:
> On 10/23/06, Gerhard Jaeger <gerhard at gjaeger.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday 22 October 2006 22:21, Blazej Kaczorowski z interia.pl wrote:
> > > Hi all i am new :) I'a watching your list for quite a while - it looks
> > > like Sane is very lifely :)

> > > Hi i Have S28 Plustek (USB scanner (vendor=0x07b3, product=0x0801,
> > > chip=GL841?) at libusb:003:002)) scanner and i am interested ... can u
> > > post email to witch u post this question? I'm also not good in driver
> > > writting but i am fast lerner i will try to look at that carefully

> > Hi,
> >
> > there's no need to start a new driver, the genesys driver is THE
> > driver, which needs to be extended, or at least filled with the
> > correct register settings for the S28/ST28.
> >
> > -
> > Gerhard
> >

> Hello again,
>
> I haven't asked Plustek for any documentataion yet. I have had a very busy
> week and I am still not sure of what I should ask for.
> If I ask for the register settings, will that do? Is that all that is
> missing from the genesys backend in order for it to support these scanners?

You might will get the docs for the ASIC, but this is already available.
You won't get anything else. You'll need to do the usbsnoop thing, scanning
under Windoze, log the usb traffic and decode the register settings.
The correct settings are part of the Windoze device driver and buried inside
the source code, which you won't get.

-
Gerhard