[sane-devel] Communicating with Saned

FF in Can ff.canengo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 15:19:57 UTC 2006

On 9/10/06, Wittawat Yamwong <wy-sane-devel at arcor.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 09:35, you wrote:
> > I have a dedicated linux PC connected to a epson 10000XL scanner in a
> > TCP/IP network lan. Other PCs (running Windows XP) want to operate the
> > scanner via the network. I'm using .Net C# to write a GUI/frontend for
> the
> > prupose. My program would be collecting user actions thru windows forms
> and
> > generating the corresponding TCP messages to the saned server.
> > Unfortunately, I'm struggling to find what those messages are.
> >
> > I would be grateful, if you can help me in finding out the messages that
> > can send to saned TCP server.
>
> Did you have a look at Chapter 5 in the SANE Standard? Is it not what you
> want? (If you're new to sane, you should begin with Chapter 1.) Are you
> planing to implement the SANE network protocol in C#? If so, you could
> announce what you are planing to do in the sane-devel and, with some luck,
> someone will help you implementing it.
>
> I'm not C# programmer, but is it not possible to link C# with a normal
> Win32
> DLL? If so, just compile sane-backends on Windows XP and link with its
> libraries.

this sounds great. but I'm still looking for a windows compatible sane DLL.
Do you mean that I can just compile the sane source code in visual studio as
a Win32 DLL?? I may be mistaken somewhere. I'm not familiar with linux
system.

If there is a DLL that I can compile and/or install in WIndows XP and use as
an API, then that's just what I want. Please let me know where I can
download it as source or compiled version.

I think such a DLL will work fine with C# frontend.

BTW, there is already one SANE frontend that also works with Windows XP,