[sane-devel] Problem Scanning with Epson RX520

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Sep 25 00:28:16 UTC 2006

"Paul Smedley" <paulat at smedleydot.info> writes:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I got a report from a user of the OS/2 version of Sane that the Epson
> RX520 isn't working.  Debug log is at http://smedley.ingo/debug.txt

FWIW, the epson backend doesn't claim it's supported in any way.  The
epkowa backend does.

# Is that URL valid?  Looks like my DNS server doesn't know about
# smedley.ingo ...

> Scan ends with:
> scanimage.exe: sane_start: Operation not supported
>
> Only real hints (to me) in the log are:
> [epson] sane_start()
> [epson] scanner is already open: fd = 0
> [epson] You may have to power off your TPU
> [epson] Also you may have to restart the Sane frontend.
> [epson] open_scanner()
> [epson] scanner is already open: fd = 0
> [epson] You may have to power off your TPU
> [epson] Also you may have to restart the Sane frontend.
>
> Any clues on how to get this working?

Wow!  This is the same behaviour I saw when I mentioned in

  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2006-September/017763.html
that not all epkowa supported devices are supported by the epson
backend, even if you don't need a binary-only non-free plugin.

FTR, that happened with Debian GNU/Linux (testing/unstable) on i386
and amd64.

With the epkowa backend things work fine on i386 (haven't tried amd64)
and the code that is responsible for the TPU related message is the
same for both backends ...

I've compared the ESC/I command sequence of both backends and the only
difference I noticed (from memory) is the use of 'ESC i' in the epkowa
backend whereas the epson backend didn't.  Logically, that should not
matter though.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/