[sane-devel] Intend to write driver(s)

Robert Brijder rbrijder at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 19:27:11 UTC 2007

Hi Leandro,

Sorry for the very late reaction. I do have some information for you
which may help.

Look at the site http://zub.fei.tuke.sk/primax/ of Peter Popovec.
It contains a sane backend for the E3 ASIC, which our scanners have.
The only thing lacking in this backend is that it is for parallel port
scanners and not for USB. Luckily, the chip which does the bridging of
parallel port over USB is well known, it is the GeneSys Logic GL640.
There are many duplicate implementations of this USB bridge already in
the SANE backends, it appears to reside in at least 3 backends:
genesys, canon630u, and u12. So I guess it wouldn't be hard to
implement this in your sane backend. BTW: Does anybody know, Is there
a good reason for implementing this chip this many times?

It seems the modifications are mostly necessary in the port.c file (of
the sane backend of Peter Popovec) to get it working. I guess there
should be a USB version for the following functions.

epp_off();
epp_read();
epp_read_one();
epp_write();
epp_write_one();
switcher_online ();
switcher_offline ();

The first five are not that hard I think, but I do not really have a
clue yet how to do the last two functions.

If we can get USB support working, at least 6 new devices would be
supported. This would be nice. I contacted Peter Popovec, but since he
does not have such a USB scanner he would rather not implemented this
himself.

I guess I answered your first question: we should edit the backend of
Peter Popovec. The second question: I don't know if it is possible to
damage the scanner. The third question: the backend of Peter Popovec
does not seem to have any licencing issues, this in contrast to the
viceo backend.

All the best,
Robert