[sane-devel] [announce] coolscan3 release

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:39:54 UTC 2007

On 12/17/07, Oliver Rauch <Oliver.Rauch at rauch-domain.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 17.12.2007, 08:58 -0500 schrieb m. allan noah:
>

> > there are also at least three fax compression variants, as well as a
> > text variant for hardware patch-code support. i've got a HUGE scanner
> > in my dining room ATM that needs these. Actually, the bell and howell
> > backend already supports all these, with a #ifndef.
>
> Don`t you think it really gets time to start SANE2 for this?
> Please don`t try to force all that into SANE1

It already IS in SANE1 in at least one backend.

the current SANE2 draft spec is too big for anyone to get started on
it. there are so many backends and frontends out there and so few
developers, that i have begun to doubt it will ever happen. heck- its
been 18+ months since our last SANE1 release. Instead i think we need
to find a way to let SANE1 grow a little, while still maintaining
backwards compatability.

yes, it takes a specialized frontend to use these new frame types, but
the user has to set an option to enable them, and it's really no more
than a single line added to an enum in sane.h, so 'force' is really
not the right word at all.

allan