[sane-devel] [announce] coolscan3 release

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Mon Dec 17 17:07:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:47:49 +0100
Oliver Rauch <Oliver.Rauch at Rauch-Domain.DE> wrote:

> > yes, it takes a specialized frontend to use these new frame types, but
> > the user has to set an option to enable them, and it's really no more
> > than a single line added to an enum in sane.h, so 'force' is really
> > not the right word at all.
>

> Adding something to an enum is a really bad idea because you can not
> test if this item is listed in the enum, you will get a lot of probelms
> with this.

 why? if every frontend has a correct handling in the default:
 case of the switch() statement, it can just throw an error.

> We can talk about starting SANE2 and I will create a SANE2 compilant
> version of xsane. But I will not produce any mixes between SANE1 and
> SANE2 for xsane.

 the beauty of that is that xsane would continue to work with no
 problems at all.

 as a matter of fact, 95% of sane users will just need
 RGB or GRAY. The other 5% can just do some homework
 and get a frontend that suits their needs.

 and they will surely find one. it's a win-win situation.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy