[sane-devel] Going forwared with SANE (was: Re: [announce] coolscan3 release)

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Mon Dec 17 20:07:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:57:51 -0500
"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Frankly, these changes are quite small, not even a new function call,
> but if the hang-up is purely a philosophical one around the word
> 'standard', then what about SANE1.1? Then every packager/frontend
> author would have to compile against the new version, and we might
> have some systems that continue to ship both versions (even though
> they would be identical for most backends).

 I mostly agree with you, but I want to make a strong point about
 the importance that current frontends should be able to work unaffected
 by those small changes we'd like introduce.

 I really think we can achieve that. Either by checking that the frontends
 are correctly written or by a mechanism that prevents those new features
 to be exposed by unaware frontends (if it is dangerous to do so)
 or by something else.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,