[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Étienne Bersac bersace at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 20:18:48 UTC 2007

Hi,

> What we really need, err, what USERS really need, is a range of
> frontends that match their needs as closely as possible:
>  - one frontend for the average joe user to handle basic scanning
>    needs (b/w text, documents, photos)
>  - one frontend for the advanced user (would be today's XSane)
>  - one frontend for the über-advanced imaging guru, with advanced
>    features like IR, etc.

I do fully agree with you. As developer of Gnome Scan, i really don't
want to support all use-case, but 100% of maman use cases so that she
never ask me again to do the scan for her again. I'm pretty sure
gnome-scan will never handle IR or such advanced feature ! However, i'm
pretty concerned by hotplug and event handling wich is a lame of SANE
for now.

Regards,
Étienne.
--