[sane-devel] Security concern about API sane_control_option()

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Feb 13 00:51:12 CET 2007

"simon.zheng" <Simon.Zheng at Sun.COM> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> "simon.zheng" <Simon.Zheng at Sun.COM> writes:
>>

>>> I'm a new commer for SANE & XSane. Here are some
>>> security questions when studying API sane_control_option().
>>> I would appreciate if anyone can give help.
>>>
>>> Is there any possibility sane_control_option() allows
>>> you to get or set any control that would allow one
>>> user to affect another user. For example:
>>>

>> sane_control_option() is there so that frontends can tell the backends
>> what the user wants to do.  It's a very abstract interface and exactly
>> what options are available is left to the discretion of each backend.
>>

> I find a spec on SANE Standard 2 draft,
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane2/0.08/doc014.html,  which documents
> well-known options.How about those backend-specific options? Where are
> they documented?  Manpage?

A lot of backends have a 'sane-$backend' man page.  I'd expect their
options to be documented there, if at all.

Please note that backends are not required to support even the well-
known options.

>> So any security implications are not a result of sane_control_option()
>> but of the set of options a particular backend chooses to provide.
>>
> Right.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/