[sane-devel] Flatbed scanner that can scan to the edge?

Levente Novák lnovak at dragon.unideb.hu
Wed Feb 28 15:20:31 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 09:06 -0500, m. allan noah wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Jan Kandziora <jjj at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 28. Februar 2007 12:57 schrieb Felix E. Klee:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the hint.  However, I've to repeat: I do *not* need a scanner
> > > especially targeted at scanning books.  What I need is a scanner that
> > > can scan to the edge of the *glass plate*.  Maybe that sounds too
> > > trivial and thus leads to misunderstandings on this list.
> > >
> > No. You need an additional frame which creates accurate edges. Maybe tape
> > markings on the glass plate are sufficient. If not, try 1mm thick plastic
> > markings with double-adhesive tape on their back.
> >

> every flat-bed scanner that i have can scan to the edge of the visible
> portion of the glass plate, fujitsu, avision, HP, umax. not sure what
> you want us to tell you to do...

He wants to tell that you can not scan anything closer than about 5 mm
to the edge of the glass with an Epson 3490 Photo (which I own also).
This is ridiculous indeed, as my previous scanner (Microtek Phantom
636Cx) was perfectly able to scan whatever I had on the transparent
glass.

1. This makes very hard to scan something exactly parallel to the edges.

2. This problem could be solved by Epson putting a narrower and shorter
glass window instead of the actual one on the scanner.

Levente