[sane-devel] Anyone aware of mfpport.ko?

Julien Michielsen julien at michkloo.xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 5 17:17:43 CET 2007

I recently upgraded opensuse to level 10.2, and the new xsane version
(xsane-0.991-32) bumps with very strange messages:

insmod: can't read
'/lib/modules/2.6.18.2-34-default/kernel/drivers/mfpportctrl/mfpport.ko':
No such file or directory

Before, on 10.1, it worked great with xsane-0.99-14. The present version
is xsane-0.991-32, and somehow they must have screwed ir up for my epson
Perfection 2580. I wrote this to the suse-buglist on dec. 31st, but I
have not received any answer. (Suppose the guys at SuSE are still
looking into it, but with low priority ;-) )
So I might have a better chance here on the list.
My questions:
- how come the program asks for this mfpport-module?
- wouldn't I have a better chance to build xsane myselve? However, I'm
scared to start such a major task: I have no experience to construct an
X application. Anyone knows of a sort of "install your own xsane for
dummies"-howto?

Thank you!
--
Julien