[sane-devel] Please correct documentation!

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Sun Jan 7 18:29:57 CET 2007

"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee at inka.de> wrote:

Hi,

> Well, here it uses /proc/bus/usb/xxx/yyy as /dev/bus/usb/xxx/yyy doesn't
> exist.  But even if I mount /dev/bus/usb, then it doesn't work.  The
> problem is that the udev rules provided with sane-backends-1.0.18 don't
> touch files in either directory structure.  When I plug in the scanner,
> then one of "/dev/usbdev*" is modified by the udev rules.

In this case, yes, you need hotplug or a RUN rule to change the
permissions in /proc/bus/usb as udev only handles /dev/bus/usb

Just use something like

  RUN += "/path/to/hotplug/script"

to the udev rule for your scanner. The hotplug script is, of course,
the one shipped with SANE.

If hotplug works out of the box, then don't worry about that ;)

(still it's amazing to see a distro where udev is so old that it
doesn't work out of the box for USB devices)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169