[sane-devel] Please correct documentation!

kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Sun Jan 7 22:32:45 CET 2007

Hi,

I am a subscriber to this list for a long time, but I am not active in
scanner development stuff so do not usually contribute. However, I also
use Slackware (usually run the "current" tree, but now using the latest
because "current" is temporarily inactive). I typically compile my own
kernels to support just my own hardware and setup, too.

I also bit the bullet recently and went over to using udev instead of
hotplug, because the more recent 2.6 kernels simply do not like hotplug
anymore.

As I said, I am not using a scanner very much, but I had to face
immediately the issue of making my gphoto stuff to work, because I am
actively involved in gphoto development. Here is more or less what I
found, and perhaps it is relevant:

1. It is easy once you know what you are doing. ;)

2. Gphoto provides a script to run which creates a file called
libgphoto2.rules which one puts into /etc/udev/rules.d and I also find
there a file called libsane.rules because I have an old scanner around so
I installed sane (but haven't used the scanner so I do not know if it
works well or not).

In the libsane.rules each entry starts with a line such as (from the first
entry)

SYSFS{idVendor}=="03f0", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0101", MODE="660",
GROUP="scanner"

(all on one line, above, in case the mailer munges it).

and as I said I do not know if that works. But if you want it to work then
at least you have to have a group called "scanner" and whoever is going to
use the scanner has to belong to the group called "scanner". If you do not
have a group called "scanner" (check /etc/group to see if there is a group
called "scanner" or not) then you need to create one. If you do have such
a group then you need to add yourself (or whoever) as member of the
group. Well, actually, I did set up an old box at work recently, with a
2.6.19 kernel, as a dedicated machine to run the scanner and it does find
the scanner just fine.

If you do not want to mess with a group called "scanner" you can do a
hand-created file. Here is a similar line from my libgphoto2.rules file
(file was hand-created by me, using the script in the libgphoto distro for
creating it and I assume that sane has some similar facility):

SYSFS{idVendor}=="093a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="010f", GROUP="users"

and I know it works because I have one of those cameras and I am the
one who wrote the support library for it.

And as I said, there is some point with a 2.6 kernel at which hotplug
quits working. Somewhere around 2.6.16 or 2.6.17 and after that one has no
choice but to use udev. As I said, that has been my experience but YMMV.

3. You might try upgrading your Slackware distro if you are running a 2.6
kernel anyway. There might be some kind of problem with libusb; the latest
version used now in Slackware is libusb-0.1.12-i486-1.

4. Good luck. Seems to me it all ought to work.

Theodore Kilgore