[sane-devel] SANE2, time for a decision

Jon Chambers jon at jon.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 8 22:49:08 CET 2007

On Monday 08 January 2007 19:28, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> I also think we should setup a more or less small
> group of developers who are willing to help Oliver
> to finish the sane2 standard. [...]
> During this time the team around Oliver should
> be found and they could start with their work.

Alessandro summoned up some developer support for porting some backends.  I
suspect that the number of people with sufficient spare time to devote to
additionally reading, fully understanding and helping to finish the spec
might be sufficiently small to allow some consensus to be reached before
passing the result back out for general developer review.  Any volunteers?

> Apart from all of these standard discussions, our major
> problem is and probably will remain, that none of the
> scanner manufacturers supports us/SANE actively.

Quite a few manufacturers have written proprietary backends and therefore have
considered and silently endorsed the original SANE spec (for example Dell
released a SANE driver for the 1815dn MFP).  Maybe they would provide some
input if we asked them.  Does anyone have any friends amongst the
manufacturers that might be emailed?

cheers,
Jon