[sane-devel] failing make sane-backends-1.0.18; sanei_scsi question]

Julien Michielsen julien at michkloo.xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 19 15:00:46 CET 2007

Being the origin of this thread I'd like to make a few contributions
Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 20:55, abel deuring wrote:
> [SNIPSNAP]
>> GNU C Library stable release version 2.5 (20061011), by Roland
>
> ah - I see pretty new beast ;)
On my SuSE 10.2:
glibc-devel-2.5-25
>> Compiled on a Linux 2.6.18 system on 2006-11-26.
>
> Hmmm - okay. So they will use these headers...
>>> Hmmm - seems we need to check how they compile their glibc and which
>>> kernel-headers they use - I think Johannes is around and might could
>>> shade some light on that - maybe also on that resmgr stuff.
>> I think you spotted the cause in the diff file:
>
> Well, I've only copied the patch from the SuSE srpm ;)

When I compiled the sane-backend the include-file seemed to be unread:
sanei_scsi.c:1276: error: 'HZ' undeclared (first use in this function)
In addition, it only was defined for 60 Hz:
#define SG_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT (60*HZ) /* HZ == 'jiffies in 1 second' */
(/usr/include/scsi/sg.h line 268)
therefore I added a line to fix HZ on 50, and then installed the backend
without further problems.
Also sane-frontends installed fine.
The scanner was not recognized however. Starting xsane I got the message
"no devices available" with 6 possible reasons under "help":
- device not supported by sane?		Thought epson 2580 is supported
- supported device is busy		No, it isn't
- no permissions, try as root		Did not help
- back-end is not loaded by sane	Added usb 0x4b8 0x121 to
/etc/sane.d/epson.conf and think 					this defines it properly
- back-end not configured properly	Answered on other back-end point
- possibly more than one sane-version	No there is not.
   installed.

My question: anyone a suggestion how to get my epson 2580 recognized?
Thanks
--
Julien Michielsen

--