[sane-devel] Problems about Lineart mode

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 19:40:10 CET 2007

On 1/26/07, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina at gmail.com> wrote:
> I scan a document with:
>
>  $ scanimage --mode Lineart --resolution 150 -x 215 -y 297 > document
>
> , so obtaining a fine image about 250Kb big. But, the problem is that MS
> Windows can't apparently see the file, and I need to send it to other people
> non Linux users. On the other hand, if I omit the `--mode Lineart' option the
> file comes up too big: 6Mb or so.

by default, scanimage outputs in the format 'PNM', so if they have a
viewer for that type on windows, they can view it. if they dont, you
can easily convert it to many other formats using a wide variety of
utilities on your linux box. which one you choose depends on what the
windows users will do with the file. my suggestion:

scanimage --mode Lineart --resolution 150 -x 215 -y 297 | pnmtopng >
document.png

you will have to have the utility pnmtopng installed, it is part of
the netpbm utils package.
the files will be readable in IE.

another option instead is to use the tiff output format of scanimage
(--format tiff)

allan