[sane-devel] parallel make fix causes problems- was: CVS snapshots | md5_buffer undefined errors in auth_callback function

Ilia Sotnikov hostcc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:28:34 UTC 2007

On 6/29/07, Hugh McMaster <dasjournal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Allan, Ilia,
>
> On 28/06/07, Ilia Sotnikov wrote:
> > On 6/28/07, m. allan noah wrote:
> > > i have traced this down to a change by isotnikov-guest (cc'd) on jun
> > > 12 to use libtool instead of ar and ranlib in lib/ and sanei/. it
> > > seems that our included version of libtool does not work properly in
> > > link mode, and fails to pass the object names to ar. this wont bite
> > > you if you are working in an old checkout, but after a make clean, or
> > > with a new checkout, you'll have problems.
> > >
> > > i am not a libtool expert, but i did try using my system copy (1.5.16)
> > > and it worked fine with the same command line.
> > >

> > Thank you for your efforts. I've done little investigation on the
> > issue and can confirm that you found the exact place where the problem
> > arises. Will try to provide a fix until the end of the weekend.

Just committed the fix.

The problem was that static libraries were disabled by default when
configure produced libtool from ltmain.sh. That's why SANE own libtool
script didn't work (it had static libraries disabled), while system
one worked. This could be workarounded using '--enable-static' option
to configure, but that certainly not a solution. So I decided to find
the reliable way - to tell libtool that we are going to build static
libraries (liblib.a, libsanei.a). It could be achieved using '-static'
flag during libtool's compile & link stages. The fix I've committed is
based on this approach.

Thanks to all who spent the time locating the problem.
--
 Ilia Sotnikov