[sane-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Native Wine32 SANE available for testing

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 22:12:37 UTC 2007

Ilia Sotnikov wrote:
> Last week I've committed native Win32 version of SANE. It's available
> for checkout at cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/sane checkout
> experimental/sane-backends-win32. Any feedback will be greatly
> appreciated.

If you have any way to provide snapshot builds from time to time, these
will probably have many more testers providing feedback.

I don't have any Win32 machines on hand myself, but thanks very much for
working on this.

Out of curiosity, how are USB devices named on Win32 (from SANE's point of
view), and do they use the SANE backends for device communication?

If there is a way to deploy a certain model of scanner on a Win32 machine,
have its device name reliably known ahead of time, and if scans can be
initiated from scanimage, scanadf, python-sane, etc., that's *big* news,
and you'll probably see a stampede of Win32 users who need those tools.