[sane-devel] Pentax DSmobile 600

Bertrik Sikken bertrik at sikken.nl
Sun Jul 15 21:38:20 UTC 2007

Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've purchased this cute little scanner partly because there were infos about
> a (proprietary) linux driver - but Pentax says it was for an older model and
> Linux support has been dropped.
>
> I thought I'd take a look at writing a backend, however I know little if
> anything about such things, including C language, so I have little hope.
>
> Anyway, I ran usb snoop from a vmware machine and I have put the resulting log
> here:
>
> http://www.decoulon.ch/dsmobile600_log.txt.zip
>
> In case anyone who knows more about this stuff wants to take a look.

It looks like another parallel-over-USB protocol:

* Control transfer with Value=82 is used to setup a bulk transfer.
  Bytes 4-7 in the transfer data contain the length of the bulk
  transfer in little endian encoding.
* Control transfer with Value=83 is used to write data
  (even bytes in control data block is the register address and
  odd bytes are the data to write).
* Control transfer with Value=84 is used to read data from the last
  register addressed.

Although the protocol looks similar to other protocols I looked at,
this particular implementation is new to me. Besides knowing the
protocol to set/get data in the scanner controller, you'll also
need to figure out what each register does (and I fear that's the
hard part).

Kind regards,
Bertrik