[sane-devel] Canon LiDE 50, not moving

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 15:11:12 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Andreas Schallenberg wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I just bought a Canon LiDE 50 USB scanner. It should be supported
> by the genesys backend. When I try to get a scan (or preview),
> the slider starts to move a little bit, a green light is emitted but
> then it remains in the start area. The real scan is not startet.
> While this, a screaming noise is heard.  A real slider movement by some
> centimeters happens in rare occasions. Usually it stays where it is.
>
> The system is a OpenSUSE 10.2, the "sane" package version
> is 1.0.18-34. The scanner works ok using Windows.
>
> Has anybody an idea for this?
> Andreas

I guess you are using a recent 2.6 kernel.  There is a problem with
libusb not supporting a new kernel feature (USB_SUSPEND).  You can
fix this either by disabling USB_SUSPEND or using an old kernel which
does not have this feature.  Then bug the libusb people to fix the
problem (they are signs they are working on it).

There are earlier threads in this forum about this topic.

David