[sane-devel] Descreen feature

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Fri Jul 27 10:21:08 UTC 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 09:39:40 Bertrik Sikken wrote:
> Quentin Bierent wrote:
> > Hi there
> >
> > I've been checking sane from time to time and a key feature is still
> > missing at this time
> > every serious scanner user need descreen feature to get clean scan.
> > Goole shows it's been various requests about this feature (aka detramage)
> >
> > Every other descreen "workaround methods" are quality degrading (blur,
> > despeckle etc etc) only a specific and efficient descreen algorythm
> > (with LPI and screens angles settings) can do a good job for
> > profesionnal quality.
> > This is the only way to get a good resolution scan with a low print
> > quality original (halftone pictures in newspaper can be acquired and
> > smoothed WITHOUT sacrifying resolution and final quality)
> >
> > This feature is available on every serious scanner software (agfa,
> > binuscan...)
> >
> > I will send some examples later.
> >
> > I am aware this feature is tricky to implement but  it will for sure
> > lift SANE  to new heights...
>
> What you propose sounds much like an image processing step, while
> sane is (currently) more about simply getting the data from the
> scanner.
> Before adding image processing to sane itself, I think there should at
> least be some kind of framework where it can fit in cleanly.

This "commercial", "binary only" Windows junk software pieces
also only do blur and re-sharpen and the like.

You can use ImageMagick, ExactImage, Gimp, etc. to perform those
tasks.

Yours,

  Geschäftsführer: Susanne Klaus, René Rebe
  Sitz: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 105 123 B
  USt-IdNr.: DE251602478