[sane-devel] Workaround for CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND now in CVS

Sitsofe Wheeler sitsofe at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 06:37:49 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 20:52 +0200, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> So, as of a few minutes ago, the udev rules generated by sane-desc
> include a new RUN rule that will disable the USB autosuspend feature
> for all the scanners we know.
>
> That's the end of "black scans" as long as you run a kernel >= 2.6.22
> and this sysfs interface doesn't change :-)

(For those new to the issue you can read an Ubuntu bug about the issue
over on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/85488 ).

I'm not 100% sure this is the right thing. Perhaps there should be a
whitelist packaged up with SANE that tracks those scanners that do not
need USB autosupsend disabled? I mention this because any power savings
that USB autosupend was intended to implement will be undone by this if
a scanner is plugged in (although you can argue that you probably don't
care about power if you use a scanner).

Additionally, is it possible to only implement this just before
scanning?

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/