[sane-devel] UMAX stopped working

Thomas H. George tom at tomgeorge.info
Sun Mar 18 15:37:55 CET 2007

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 11:33:30AM -0400, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've tried the FAQ and all the Sane instructions I can find and can't
> fix this, I'm wondering if anyone can give me a clue.
>
> I've a UMAX Astra 2200 usb scanner on Fedora 6. It was working, now
> when I use xsane (0.991) I get the interface, and when I click scan I
> get "Failed to start scanner: error during device I/O". My favourite
> bets are:
>
> 1) I hit a button in the xsane interface that changed something I
> don't know about.
> 2) Something's been updated by the auto update process and messed
> things up
> 3) My scanner is broken and I need a new one.

Don't rush to buy a new scanner like I did.  As I noted in my response
to the posting re Epson V100 about a month ago my Epson Perfection 2400
suddenly began freezing in mid-scan.  After contacting the backend
maintainer and the maintainer of udev I decided the scanner was dying.
I bought an Epson V100 and found it would not work with xsane but Epson
supplied iscan.  So a different scanner and different software but again
the scanner would scan a few pages and then lockup in mid-scan.  Finally
I connected the old Epson Perfection 2400 to a Windows XP box and it
still worked perfectly scan after scan.

Tom George