[sane-devel] scanimage works well but xscanimage, xsane don't work

claydoh claydoh at claydoh.com
Wed Mar 21 21:11:04 CET 2007

> On Monday 26 February 2007 06:52, Tomoo Nomura wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can scan by scanimage but can't by xscanimage or xsane.
> >
> > Xscanimage or xsane takes several minutes and finish normally but
> > hardware doesn't seem to work and result image is whole black.
> > Xscanimage or xsane asks me which device to use, there are tv tuner,
> > camera and scanner, and I explicitly choose plustek:libusb:002:002 for
> > CanoScan N676U.
> >
> > environments:
> > Debian Linux etch
> > kernel 2.6.19.1
> > sane 1.0.14-2
> > scanner CanoScan N676U
> > backend plustek
>
> This problem is not only related to the Plustek backend
> and could be observed on other debian based distros as well.
>
> I had no time to dig somewhat deeper to that, but I assume
> it had something to do with threading
>
> - Gerhard

From ubuntu bug #85488
https://bugs.launchpad.net/sane-backends/+bug/85488
and other bug reports
it looks like enabling USB_SUSPEND (USB selective suspend/resume and wakeup)
in recent kernels is causing this, though disabling it may have detrimental
effects on laptop suspend/resume.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/93654
shows a possible patch for snapscan

--