[sane-devel] UMAX, more info

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 12:09:28 CET 2007

Hi

Further to my UMAX Astra 2200 message before, I've more info for you.

I'm using it with Fedora 6, and it was working OK.

Now after a reboot the scanner tool scanned, first of all, 17x0 pixel,
8bit/color, 3 colors, 5dpi x 5dpi, 0.0B.

On a second go after I changed the dpi to 300, it gave "Failed to
start scanner: invalid argument". Acquire preview failed too (the
dotty line in that is certainly bigger than 17x0 pixels and so are the
x and y co-ords in the options: 0, 0, 10, 20 or thereabouts.

I closed and re-opened the scanner tool and got a 300 dpi scan 1435 x
45 pixels that seemed to start where I wanted it to start (defined by
the preview dotty line), but it stopped far short.

A second scan gave the error above.

I rebooted the whole lot again and got a 1828 x 13 pixel scan, then it
failed on second scan.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this, where to look, what to
think about?

It would appear the hardware's connected OK, although pressing the
front buttons on the scanner (scan, copy) doesn't cause anything to
happen. I did make some changes to umax.conf which made no difference
to the errors, and I set SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=128 but that didn't seem to
provide me with any additional information, at least to the shell
(perhaps I should be looking in the log files .. but which and where
(I use Linux every day but I'm no expert in it)).

Cheers