[sane-devel] [RFC] On libsane symbols visibility

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Tue May 8 15:15:38 UTC 2007

"Ilia Sotnikov" <hostcc at gmail.com> wrote:

> My suggestion is to mark the functions which are part of SANE API as
> exportable (__attribute__ ((visibility("default"))) symbol attribute
> and its companion, -fvisibility=hidden). It will give us the necessary
> result - only explicitly marked symbols will be visible. In ideal
> case, 'make libcheck' wouldn't be necessary anymore. The above
> mentioned attribute and command line switch is a GCC extension.
>
> Any thoughts?

SANE traditionally builds with non-gcc compilers too, so this is kind
of a no-go for the gcc-deprived (or the gcc-sucks-no-way-I-use-it,
YMMV) :)

Backends that use multiple files usually #include them (see the
snapscan backend, for instance) to workaround this limitation.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169