[sane-devel] [RFC] On libsane symbols visibility

François Revol revol at free.fr
Wed May 9 15:25:01 UTC 2007

> > Haven't tried this myself so YMMV.
>
> That would be an excellent solution, provided it works with our
> modified version of libtool (for those unaware of it, sane-backends
> uses a slightly modified libtool version, so be careful if you feel
> like updating it :)

Hi there,
please, please, if you feel like fiddling with libtool please make sure
it doesn't break other platforms. The regular libtool already barely
works in BeOS, no need to push it further down.

Btw, revamping the usb code for the BeOS port is on my TODO list. I
might someday write a linux-compatible libusb.so that could be used by
sanei.
It would both hopefully remove some BeOS specific code, and allow new
scanners to work automatically.
Currently on BeOS sane uses a usb_scanner driver which has a hardcoded
list of supported devices... adding one means updating sane *and* the
driver, which is pointless as it does nothing besides publishing known
IDs.
This goes well along with the recent updates to the USB stack for
Haiku, which is a Free Software rewrite of BeOS (cf. http://haiku-os.org
). So no, the BeOS port is still alive :)

François.