[sane-devel] Make source consistent accross backends

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 17:53:09 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Étienne Bersac <bersace03 at laposte.net> wrote:

> Writing a frontend, i would like to know wether the source is ADF or
> not, this will allow frontend to scan until SANE_STATUS_NO_DOCS is
> returned or just do one scan. However, backends have inconsistent
> source values.

and i specifically, as a front-end user, do NOT want you to assume
that you should scan all sheets just because i asked for adf. i quite
often scan different pages of a stack of sheets with different
settings or even different programs.

can you add a control to your front-end that says- 'number of images
to aquire'? the default is 1, but there is a choice for 'all'?

i guess that solution still does not work well with duplexing, as the
number would have to be doubled...

hmm, what if we changed the standard to state that a backend should
return SANE_STATUS_NO_DOCS after the image from a flatbed has been
transfered? the front-end would have to call sane_start again to make
a second flatbed scan? i guess that could lead to confusion, but you
see where i am trying to go- instead of having the front-end have
special handling, make the backends act the same regardless of
source...

allan