[sane-devel] Epson CX7400 support

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 20:01:20 UTC 2007

Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Installed iscan-2.8.0-1.c2.i386.rpm, commented epson from dll.conf,
>> commented out "usb 0x04b8 0x0838" from epson.conf and added it to
>> epkowa.conf
>> xsane started working
>> commented out the entry from epkowa.conf, placed it back in epson.conf -
>> xsane works
>> removed iscan package, xsane works
>> rebooted, still works
>>
>> blinked a few times and reinstalled iscan just to be on the safe side :)
>>
>> I'm guessing iscan uploaded some firmware to the scanner, so it works now..?
>>

> It (iscan) doesn't upload firmware for the CX7400.  Moreover, firmware
> uploads would be lost when you power-down the device (long enough).
>
> I'm curious as to how you installed and removed iscan.  My current
> best bet is that the epkowa backend is still found in a place where
> SANE finds it, typically in /usr/lib/sane/, and epkowa.conf is still
> on the system as well.
>
> If you installed with `rpm -U` and removed with `rpm -e` everything
> ought to be gone after removal.  Maybe you're using a less common, as
> in one we don't test with, distribution and things didn't go as they
> were intended to.
>
> Let me know what distribution you're using and how you installed and
> removed iscan.  Were there any messages by any chance?  Also, what
> device names do you get with `scanimage -L`?  If there's any that
> start with 'epkowa:' the backend's still there somewhere.

Right now, iscan is installed (used rpm -ivh iscan-...rpm), scanimage -L
returns:
device `epson:libusb:005:006' is a Epson CX7400 flatbed scanner
I unplugged it from the outlet overnight and tried just now - it's still
working and still showing up as "epson:libusb..."

I'm currently on Fedora Core 6. I used "yum remove iscan" to uninstall
the package. I didn't check in /usr/lib/sane, but there was an
epkowa.conf.rpmsave in /etc/sane.d/ after the uninstall. Removing
.rpmsave file didn't seem to affect anything.