[sane-devel] scanimage: sane_start: Out of memory - Umax Astra 600S

Alexander Melhuish awm106 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 14 22:19:53 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am attempting to make my scanner work. It is a Umax Astra 600S
attached via a SCSI-Firewire interface to my MacBook, which is running
Mac OS X 10.5. I'm using the latest version of the TWAIN-SANE
packages, which includes sane-backends 1.0.18. I tested this
configuration with a demo of SilverFast, which functioned properly.

So far, the only way to have a complete response is using the --mode
LineArt option - anything else and the scanner and/or interface
'crash'. Even in this mode though, no image is produced.

Using SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255 and SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255, I produced
the attached log file. I have tried experimenting a little with the
buffer options for sane_umax, but I'm not convinced that the back-end
is at fault.

Anyone with experience of 'Out of memory' errors or sane_umax, please
respond. Any suggestions are welcome to just get basic functionality
to start with.

Regards,

Alexander Melhuish
awm106 at ecs.soton.ac.uk