[sane-devel] Epson Stylus DX4050

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri Nov 16 04:47:25 UTC 2007

Laurent Riffard <laurent.riffard at free.fr> writes:

> Le 16.11.2007 02:49, Olaf Meeuwissen a écrit :
>> Laurent Riffard <laurent.riffard at free.fr> writes:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>> Epson backend seems to do a better job than epokwa. The Linux distribution is
>>> Ubuntu 7.10.
>>
>> Apart from the fact that we don't provide .debs (yet), in what respect
>> does the epson backend do a better job than the epkowa backend?
>> As the maintainer of the latter, I'd like to know ;-)
>
> Oops ! I was using XSane and I compared a *grayscale* scan made by the
> epson backend and a *black and white* scan made by the epkowa backend.
> The grayscale one was better. Sorry for that.

You're forgiven ;-)

>> BTW, our .rpms should convert cleanly to .debs (on i386 and similar at
>> least) with
>>
>>   alien --scripts --keep-version iscan-*.i386.rpm
>>
>> After that, all you should need to do is install.  There should be no
>> need to fiddle with libsane.rules.
>
> My scanner wasn't recognized until I had a line in libsane.rules. And I
> read this at the top of this file:

If you built from source (or convert with alien *without* --scripts)
that is to be expected.  Image Scan! creates its own iscan.rules in
the post-installation phase (using libsane.rules as a template when
found).

>   # The following list already contains a lot of scanners. If your scanner
>   # isn't mentioned there, add it as explained above and mail the entry to
>   # the sane-devel mailing list (sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org).
>
> I wrote this mail to get my scanner id added to libsane.rules. Maybe I should
> have written to Ubuntu instead ?

Ubuntu should be getting them automatically with the next update of
their SANE packages now that Julien Blache has committed the patch to
epkowa.desc I sent a few days ago.  That files includes USB info for
all the devices supported by iscan-2.10.0.

The last update before that was iscan-2.3.0, IIRC.  Blame me.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen             FLOSS Engineer -- EPSON AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/