[sane-devel] scanadf on Mac OS X

Yoshi ml at otani-shokai.com
Sat Oct 13 09:24:55 UTC 2007

Dear Mattias, Allan:

On 2007/10/13, at 14:19, Mattias Ellert wrote:

> fre 2007-10-12 klockan 21:26 -0400 skrev m. allan noah:
>
>> so- it appears that after we close the usb device, we cannot re-open
>> it under osx? we need some OSX/USB help here.
>>
>> allan
>
> Hi!
>
> The libusb is known to behave strangely together with SANE on
> darwin/MacOS X. The libusb code tries to support timeouts on interrupt
> pipes, which is not supported. I my experience most problems are
> solved
> if this "feature" is removed. The attached patch normally solves a lot
> of problems. Since I didn't see the complete debug log in this case, I
> cannot tell if this particular problem is caused by this "feature".
>
> 	Mattias
>
> <libusb-runloop.patch>
> --

First of all, by patching to libusb, the scanners (not only fi-5110c
but also ScanSnap S500) worked quite good! Thank you for
analyzing and giving me great helps!

Your guess was right, I saw errors in system.log when scanimage -L
complained.
Logs is like following:

kernel[0]: USBF:69086.103
AppleUSBEHCI[0x28b9000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5
seconds on bus 253, timing out!
kernel[0]: USBF:69092.103
AppleUSBEHCI[0x28b9000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5
seconds on bus 253, timing out!
kernel[0]: USBF:69094.103
AppleUSBEHCI[0x28b9000]::Found a transaction past the completion
deadline on bus 253, timing out!
kernel[0]: USBF:69095.103
AppleUSBEHCI[0x28b9000]::Found a transaction past the completion
deadline on bus 253, timing out!

And now there's no log like that.

My beginning question of 'no scanadf on Max OS X' is resolved at the
same time.
I learned we can get same functionality by using --source and --batch
option.

I write down the procedure for future help:

tar xvzf libusb-0.1.12.tar.gz
cd libusb-0.1.12
patch -p 1 < libusb-runloop.patch
./configure
make && sudo make install
make clean
cd ..
tar xvzf sane-backends-1.0.18
cd sane-backends-1.0.18
./configure
make && sudo make install
make clean

then connect the scanner
/usr/local/bin/scanimage --source "ADF Duplex" --batch=hoge%d.tiff --
format=tiff

Thank you very much

Yoshi