[sane-devel] Travelscan 464

Flavio Cardone fcardone at wp.pl
Sat Oct 27 10:12:00 UTC 2007

Hello -

I have a Travelscan 464 which, at present, does not work with SANE. On the
sane-backends page ( http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends.html ) the
scanner is listed as unsupported. Manufacturer is Syscan, USB id is
0x0a82/0x4600 and the information given is:

"Not supported. LM9832. Some information is available. See link for details."

The link (
http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/syscan-travelscan-460.html ) gives,
among others, this information:

"As these scanners use a LM9832 chipset, they might be supported by the
Plustek backend in future. Patches are welcome."

Searching around I found out that someone tried before to make it work, with
results like mine:

(
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2003-February/006665.html )

sane-find-scanner finds the scanner;
scanimage doesn't.

Now, if I had the time, I could try to write a driver on my own, but I really
don't, I have to study too much now, and I really need that scanner to work.

This might sound very unusual, but if someone from the list would like to
write a working driver for that scanner, I would pay them 100 euros, to be
sent by PayPal. If anyone is interested, please contact me in private to
fcardone - a t - tlen - d o t - pl.

I know the scanner costs more or less the same, but I have been using OSS
since 1992, linux almost from the beginning, and sometimes people should get
nice rewards for their OSS work. And of course, the driver will too be
released under GPL, open source, etc etc. I would just be paying for the time
spent, I don't want to "own" the program.

Of course, "free" help is also very nice, but since I have really very little
time now, I would prefer to get something which I could just ./configure,
make and make install, rather than keep trying, e-mailing someone, waiting a
few days for the answer, e-mailing back, etc etc. We all know how these
things are :-)

Thanks in advance,
Flavio