[sane-devel] In progress: TRUST Imagery 9600SP (TECO_VM6552)

Frank Zago sane at zago.net
Fri Apr 4 00:15:22 UTC 2008

m. allan noah wrote:
> On 4/3/08, Gerard Klaver <gerard at gkall.hobby.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 14:56 +0200, Ralph D. Ungermann wrote:
>>  > > On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Ralph D. Ungermann wrote:
>>  > >>
>>  > >>  I'm about to adapt the teco3 backend to the VM6552.
>>  > >>
>>  > >>  My question: Is there still any public interest in backends for
>>  > >>  such old scanners?
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > m. allan noah wrote:
>>  > > though there may not be much interest, we will accept patches if you
>>  > > get it working and it compiles cleanly. we might even make you
>>  > > maintainer of the code if you are not careful :)
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > My scanner now runs fine! But unfortunately, it turned out to be not a
>>  > patch, but a major rewrite (with 30% less lines). I presume, that my
>>  > backend also solves major issues for the other supported scanners,
>>  > chiefly with color scans and responsiveness (to cancel). But I have no
>>  > way to test it for other teco models, and I don't want to fool millions
>>  > of happy teco3 users.
>>  >
>>  > If there is anybody else out there using backend teco1, teco2, or teco3,
>>  > I'm willing to unify and maintain that driver. But now I sit idle, until
>>  > somebody googles and finds this email...
>>  >
>>  > Meanwhile: Anyone here need help coding or reviewing his code?
>>  >
>>  > -- ralph
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >

>> Hello Ralph,
>>
>>  I am the maintainer of the teco2 backend, if you have a link (or send a
>>  zip file with data to mailbox) to your backend i can have a look and add
>>  improvements to the teco2 backend.
>>
>>  http://gkall.hobby.nl/scanner.html
>>

>>  PS. Frank Zago is the maintainer for the teco1 and teco3 backend.
>>  --
>>  --------
>>  m.vr.gr.
>>
>> Gerard Klaver
>>

> Gerard- Sorry, I thought these backends were all unmaintained. I stand
> corrected.
>
> Can you say how similar the protocol is on all these machines? Is it
> reasonable to combine the backends?

No. There is 3 backends for a reason. I could take a look at Ralph's
code and make sure it's indeed different than the other scanners.  In
that case the best solution would be to create a teco4 backend. And
since I don't have any scanner left I don't think it's a good idea to
patch an existing backend besides fixing obvious bugs.

Regards,
  Frank.