[sane-devel] Is it possible with sane? (newbie question) - Please help

Jon Chambers jon at jon.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 21:59:19 UTC 2008

Hi Ratnavel,

If you have reasonable familiarity with C programming then there are rather
convenient ways to directly call into shared libs from ruby (via the dl
module).  Therefore it should be possible to interface to SANE backends
direct from ruby.

Probably easier to write a wrapper around an existing commandline SANE
frontend such as scanimage though.

SANE is primarily aimed at unix-like OSs, however you may be able to get it to
work from Windows using a cygwin environment.

cheers,
Jon