[sane-devel] incompatible iscan-2.11.0

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Apr 24 07:05:32 UTC 2008

Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Johannes,

I've kept my quiet for a while on purpose.  You Cc:d the sane-devel
list and that means I have to watch out (even more) with what I say.
My activities on sane-devel are not always equally appreciated in all
quarters.  As always, all comments are my own and do neither reflect
my employer's nor my employer's customer's opinion/policy.  The latter
are the ones that fund the work on iscan so they do have a big say in
what does and does not happen.

Anyway, I have forwarded your mail and the thread that unsued up the
corporate food chain in hopes of improvement, again.  What will and
will not happen remains to be seen.  I have tried to explain your
gripes (most of which other people hanging out on sane-devel and I
personally share) the best I could.  Now let's hope other quarters
catch on and get to take note of *user* priorities.

> only by chance I detected on
> http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/index.html
> that for certain models iscan-2.11.0 is used
> (at least when one selects the "Perfection V500 Photo"
> which requires iscan-plugin-gt-x770-2.1.0-0).
> For other models (e.g. "Perfection 2480 Photo") there is
> still iscan-2.10.0 shown (with iscan-plugin-gt-f500-1.0.0-1).

Sorry for not putting out an announcement on sane-devel.  My bad.
Whatever iscan release announcements I make on sane-devel are really
just a courtesy (ditto with the diff's to epkowa.desc) and this time
it slipped.  Sorry!

> Unfortunately the iscan-2.11.0 NEWS file reads
> does not work with *any* of the plugins that have a version number
> less than 2.1.  Please use iscan-2.10.0 if you need such a plugin.
>
> The problem is not the actual incompatibility.
> The problem is that - as far as I see (*) - the other plugins
> are not available for iscan-2.11.0 (i.e. with a version
> number 2.1 or higher) - at least not for a "2480 Photo".

Not yet.  There are plans to at least provide updated plugins for the
more recent models.  Exactly which ones and when they will be released
is up in the air.