[sane-devel] incompatible iscan-2.11.0

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Apr 30 02:42:09 UTC 2008

Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> writes:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:50:45 +0900
> Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:
>
>> Johannes, when did you ask?  I can add the firmware files to the
>> epkowa.desc file if you want but it would be nice if there were some
>> extra fields (or a mechanism for custom fields, something like the X-*
>> header with mail) where I could put them.  Adding everything to the
>> comment field gets a bit messy and kludgey.
>
>  an extra field for firmware could be very helpful indeed. +1 :)

Suggesting the following:

 :firmware filename [MD5_checksum]

The filename should probably not contain path information because it
may get installed in different locations on different systems.  The
checksum is optional and may be used to verify the file.

Should multiple :firmware entries for a single model be allowed?
IIRC, there are some Windows drivers out there that include different
versions of the firmware file for the same device.

I've had a quick look at sane-desc.  That will need support for extra
fields.  It barfs on anything that's not in the "spec".  Anything else
that might break if I were to supply a patch for epkowa.desc that adds
a :firmware field?

Any opinions on the custom field, a la X-* mail headers?

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                   FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/