[sane-devel] incompatible iscan-2.11.0

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Apr 30 03:02:33 UTC 2008

Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> writes:

> On Apr 24 16:50 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote (shortened):
>
>> To be precise the upload is done by the plugin, not by the backend.
>> I wish I had the time for extract the upload bit into a separate
>> utility that can be started from udev ...
>
> I would appreciate it so have a free firmware upload utility
> and the firmware files provided for download separated from
> the proprietary plugin.

That would be nice indeed.

> By the way:
> Compare how HP does the firmware upload for their proprietary
> crap models and see how happy I am about such bad hardware:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/187049
> [snip]
> The usual warm feeling in the udev plug-and-play hell...

Thanks for the warning ;-)

>> > I must know which models require firmware upload [snip]
>>
>> Johannes, when did you ask?
>
> See the mail which I appended at the bottom.

Mea culpa!  Please accept my apologies for suggesting you didn't.

>> I can add the firmware files to the epkowa.desc file
>> if you want
>
> Yes, please!
> It is very much better to have explicite information
> as a makeshift in a comment than no such info at all.

Pending the suggestion for a new :firmware field to the *.desc file
format, I'd much prefer to stick it in a ;firmware comment.  Yes, I
am aware that it will not show up in the HTML tables this way.

>> but it would be nice if there were some extra fields
>
> Of course.
> I asked for "firmware" fields in *.desc some time ago here
> on this list, see
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2006-January/015949.html

Thanks for the pointer.  BTW, that thread didn't seem to go anywhere
beyond Henning's comments.

>> As to the "official policy" bit, at least this developer here is not
>> aware of any such policy and wonders how you found out about it.
>
> What else could I do when nobody who is responsible at Avasys
> talks to me than to deduce from what the actual results are
> in the past years?

Sorry, I overlooked your quotes on "official" in the original.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                   FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/