[sane-devel] Setting usb permissions by hand

Kanito 73 kanito73 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 23 01:00:02 UTC 2008

Hi list

One question, how can I set by hand permissions to the usb scanner device to be worldwide accessible? I tried

chmod 777 /proc/bus/usb/00#/00#

# are the specified numers by sane-find-scanner (or at least I guess that) but normal user can't access...

They only way to recognize the scanner as normal user was setuid to root scanimage, but it didn't work with xsane throwing an error that GTK does not allow setuid... so, I want to change permissions by hand and make it worldwide accesible, there's no problem am the only person that uses this computer and the scanner, so I don't care it could be 777

Can anybody tell me how can I change the permissions by hand and get rid of udev while I find a solution?

Thanks