[sane-devel] iscan questions

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Dec 15 00:41:39 UTC 2008

Putting this back on sane-devel.

Russ Fineman <russbucket at nwi.net> writes:

> On Thursday 11 December 2008 15:20:42 you wrote:
>> Russ Fineman <russbucket at nwi.net> writes:
>> > Can anyone tell me where to file bug report for Iscan?
>>
>>   https://www.avasys.jp/secure/english/linux_e/support_form.html
>>
>> but if the problem is with any of the SUSE provides packages please
>> report it with SUSE.
>>
>> > I can scan to a file just fine (Epson CX6600) but try as I can to
>> > scan to a printer and Iscan just closes down.
>>
>> What do you mean with "just closes down"?
> GUI interface just disappears (closes) from the screen.

That's a bug.

>> Can you scan to PNG file?  If yes, change the print command (Click the
>> Configuration button) to
>>
>>   cat > `date +%Y-%m-%d`.png
> No if I scan to file, and try to select PNG or TIFF they are greyed out. I can
> only select PNM or JPEG. See Below.

Allright.  No PNG support.  That means you can't print because that
relies on an intermediate PNG file.  You shouldn't have been able to
even select scanning to printer in that case.

> [snip]
>> > Using Iscan version Epkowa driver from AVASYA. OpenSUSE 11.0. Ran
>> > fine on 10.3 and previous versions. Thought I saw something about
>> > have to use older version iscan-proprietary-drivers-2.10.0.1-10.1
>> > iscan-2.10.0.1-21.1 iscan-firmware-2.8.0.1-48.1

You don't mention the iscan version you use, but I am assuming you are
using a self-built version of 2.12.0 or later.  The following is based
on that assumption.

> [snip]
> The problem appears to be Iscan looking for libpng0.so shared object file:
>   error message: terminate called after throwing an instance of
> 'std::runtime_error'
>   what():  libpng.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> there are two references to libpng.so:
>   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2008-11-13 10:18 /usr/lib64/libpng.so ->
> libpng12.so
>
>  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 21522 2008-10-07 08:13 /usr/lib64/compiz/libpng.so
>
> Not sure if this is a SUSE problem or Iscan. Should the libpng.so link to
> libpng12.so?

It's a problem with both really.  You can work around this by running
iscan from the command-line as follows:

  LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64 iscan

That way, iscan will look there first and it should pick up on your
libpng.so.  The default library search path on SUSE puts the lib64
directories towards the end so iscan looks at /usr/lib/libpng12.so
first.  That is a 32-bit library which doesn't jive with a 64-bit
iscan.  Unfortunately, iscan then gives up looking for PNG libs.

The same story goes for JPEG and TIFF libraries.

> Let me know if you need more info or should I file a bug with
> SUSE. I am using the proprietary version of Iscan, NOT the Iscan
> Free version.

If you file a bug report with SUSE, let me know (so I can follow it
and don't have to do it myself).  You should probably file it against
the glibc package.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962