[sane-devel] HP sane backend w/ HP Scanjet 6300C + ADF (USB) error

Crypto crypto at online.de
Wed Dec 17 13:13:15 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 17 December 2008 13:45:16 m. allan noah wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Crypto <crypto at online.de> wrote:
> > Hi @ll,
> >
> > I am new to this list and I am seeking help with a problem I would have
> > thought has been fixed a long ago already.
> >
> > I am using a HP Scanjet 6300C with ADF installed that I want to use to
> > scan a lot of sheets.
>
> This particular model of scanner is a very early USB 1.0 type machine,
> and is flaky for many users on USB, including me, even with flatbed
> only. The faster your machine is, the worse the problems seem to be.
>
> <nice bug report snipped>
>
> > kernel version is 2.6.27-7.slh.1-sidux-686 (32bit sidux linux ourea).
> > sane version is 1.0.14-7
> > sane-utils version is 1.0.9-23
> > libsane version is 1.0.9-23.
>
> your libsane is very old. I don't know if there are any updates to the
> hp backend that would fix this, but that is the first place to start.
>
> allan

allan,

many thanks for Your fast reply.

libsane 1.0.9-23 appears to be the very latest version available, so where
could I get an ever newer one? All the above versions appear to be up to
date, maybe apart from the kernel.

If the scanner is a 1.0 USB device, then there could be the real origin of the
problem:

dmesg tells me that:
usb 1-1.2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
usb 1-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=03f0, idProduct=0601
usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1.2: Product: HP ScanJet 6300C
usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: SG06523111PE

... the scanner is considered to be a FULL SPEED USB device, which would mean
it thinks it is a 1.1 USB type device instead of 1.0.

Is there some way to make the connection a standard USB 1.0 type connection?

Btw.: have You used the scanner with its SCSI interface after You noticed the
USB problems? Could You fix the problems at all?

Regards,
Crypto.