[sane-devel] umax1220u: sane_start: Invalid argument

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Dec 18 16:45:23 UTC 2008

| From: gmurray at cloudnet.com

| You need to specify the size of the image to scan, as it defaults to 0
| pixels, which is invalid.
| SANE_DEBUG_UMAX1220U=255 scanimage -x 100 -y 100 -d umax1220u:libusb:004:003 > outfile.pnm

| From: m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com>

| well, it appears that the backend does not set default values for the
| width and height (-x and -y)
|
| so, in order to make a scan, you must specify them.
|
| scanimage -x 210 -y 297 > image.pnm

It worked!  Thanks very much!

Is this a backend bug, a scanner bug, or an unfortunate feature?

I have yet to explore other programs that call SANE so I don't know if
there will be problems specifying -x and -y with them.

Thanks again: I was about to give these scanners away (I have two) because
I thought there was no Linux support.  They've been sitting on the shelf
for years and now they can actually be useful.  (There was no support when
I last checked and it seemed unlikely to be created because no
specifications were available.)